Daydream Island is a stunning and quiet island located in the Whitsunday’s island chain within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. The Whitsundays Coast Islands are probably the most famous of all of the Queensland Islands, totaling 74 different islands.
Daydream Island – one kilometer long and half a kilometer wide – is well-suited for couples and families.
Daydream Island has three beaches, one of which – Lover’s Cove Beach – is surrounded by live coral and diverse fish life, providing a great venue for snorkeling right from the beach.
In the middle of the island is a small and lush area of rainforest vegetation that can be reached by walking trails. Parrots and sunbirds can be sighted here.
Activities (Nature and Wildlife Interest)
There is a multitude of activities available on Daydream Island, to suit every visitor. A daily activities sheet is sent to each room daily, to help guests keep track of all available options during their stay.
- Educational experiences: Educational marine talks with fish feeding and feeding of sharks, stingrays and barramundis
- Walking: Rainforest and nature trail walks
- Boating and fishing: Paddle skis, sea kayaks, catamaran sailing, Great Barrier Reef cruises ($), fishing charters ($),jet skiing ($), boat rental ($), water-skiing ($), wakeboarding and knee-boarding ($), fishing equipment hire ($)
- Snorkeling, and diving: Independent snorkeling, snorkeling or scuba diving tours with Daydream Dive Adventures (including PADI certificate courses, $)
- Other land activities: Tennis, 19-hole mini golf course, outdoor cinema, pool, volleyball, gymnasium, tennis, spa, parasailing ($)
Daydream Island Resort offers various accommodation options to suit different needs, with 296 air-conditioned rooms and suites in total. Guests can opt for garden or ocean view rooms, and individual rooms or suites designed for families.
The resort offers choices for dining and entertainment too, including three restaurants, three bars (two pool bars, one of which is a swim-up bar), a bakery, a tavern (serves takeaway meals for day trips), an open-air cinema, and a premium day spa (16 individual treatment rooms, many with private balconies and views). The resort offers live entertainment in the evening – such as a DJ.
Daydream island is easily accessible from Hamilton Island Airport and the Whitsunday Coast Airport at Proserpine.
Flights are available to Hamilton Island and the Whitsunday Coast Airport at Proserpine, on the mainland.
From there, regular short-haul connections between Proserpine and Hamilton Island.
Ferries run from Shute Harbour (near Airlie Beach) to Daydream Island (15 minutes) or via a connecting ferry from Hamilton Island (one hour).