The only Club Med in Australia is located on Lindeman Island, the southernmost and warmest Whitsunday group island. This island has a relaxed all-inclusive feel, with guests comfortable knowing that everything is taken care of and they do not have to worry about a thing.
The island has the Whitsundays’ oldest resort, which Club Med took over in 1992. Club Med is a family-oriented resort, which offers a plethora of activities to suite every visitors taste, or guests can opt to do nothing at all!
The island was known by the Aboriginal population as “Yara-kimba,” which means the place of snapper-bream fish.
The first resort on the island was built by the Nicholsen family, who settled on the island in the late 1920s and opened a small thatched guest house for travelers who visited the island from traveling steamer ships.
Lindeman Island contains 690 hectares of National Park, and is located within the UNESCO World Heritage Great Barrier Reef site.
The island is home to golden orchids, mangrove marine systems, and almost 100 bird species. Dolphins can be seen frolicking in the waters around the island. The annual humpback whale migration can be witnessed from Lindeman Island.
Activities (Nature and Wildlife Interest)
Island guests often simply enjoy the beaches Lindeman Island has to offer, such as the peaceful Whitehaven Beach.
The resort features more activities than one could ever hope to enjoy:
- Bushwalking: The island offers several bushwalking trails totaling 20km of tracks. Popular trails include walking through Butterfly Valley or up to Mt. Oldfield which rises to just over 200 meters above sea level.
- Land sports: Basketball, volleyball, tennis, archery, circus school, horse riding, rock climbing, fitness classes, 9-hole golf (constructed on a cliff overlooking the Whitsunday passage), running path
- Water sports: Water polo, windsurfing, sea kayaking, snorkeling (popular location from Gap Beach), diving
- Boating and fishing: game and reef fishing, outer reef trips, sailing, inter-island trips, oystering
- Other: scenic helicopter and seaplane flights
Lindeman Island’s all-inclusive Club Med resort features 218 air-conditioned rooms with views ranging from pool-side, beachfront, or garden view. The accommodations are constructed in an amphitheatre style around a bay, meaning that all rooms have stunning views.
Facilities: two restaurants (Club Med Restaurant and romantic Nicholson’s Restaurant), pools, bars and night disco (live evening entertainment), beach club, boat ramp, gymnasium, spa, conference facilities for up to 200, childcare services (with three age-group delineated kids clubs)
Entry points to Lindeman Island include Hamilton Airport (Hamilton Island) or Proserpine Airport (mainland).
Daily flights operate from major cities to both Hamilton Airport and Proserpine.
Chartered helicopters or seaplane trips can be arranged for a scenic entrance to the island.
Club Med Resort offers a complimentary boat transfer from Hamilton Island to Lindeman Island, a trip that takes approximately 30 minutes.
From the mainland, a 30-minute coach or taxi drops travelers off at Shute Harbour for a 60-minute transfer to the island.